May is here – and with it comes the warmer weather and the return of the festivals and outdoor events. There’s lots to do with the kids in Calgary, especially as the weather warms up, so this month we wanted to highlight fun things to do outdoors.
Here’s what to do with the kids in Calgary, in May –
1. Try outdoor rock climbing, for only a toonie
2. Have an older kid? Drop them off for Youth Night at Southland Leisure Center
3. Enjoy nature-themed games and crafts, and go on a guided sanctuary tour to celebrate Migratory Birds Day at Inglewood Bird Sanctuary
4. Stop by Southland Leisure Center on Terrific Tuesdays for 50% off admission between 4 and 10 pm.
5. Head out to Telus Spark and have a blast in the playground, it’s one of our favourite places to play for our older children – and a perk, in their opinion, of having an annual membership.
6. Drop in opens at Butterfield Acres, you can drop in for some family fun, petting zoo and more fun farm activities.
7. Take a ‘Cook with your Kids‘ class at Calgary Farmer’s Market
8. Head out to the Callaway Park Grand Opening Weekend
9. Check out the fun (and free) activities at the Calgary International Children’s Festival
10. Kick it old school – and bring the kids to the Circus
11. Kick off the warm weather with a visit to a local spray park, we’ve heard that a handful have been opening early with this warm weather. See one open? Let us know!
12. Check out the Kids Knight Fundraiser at the Calgary Aero Space Museum
13. Get out of town and attend the Family Carnival Game Day at Symons Valley Ranch
14. After May long weekend, some of the splash parks around the city will be open – perfect timing for the hot weather. Get out there and enjoy it!
15. Get Free admission to the Glenbow the first Thursday night of the month. It’s the perfect time to see what’s new – for free.
16. Check out the free AmazeArts, Arts and crafts event
17. Learn about emergency preparedness at Disaster Alley
18. Take part in a Lego competition or check out the builds
19. Spend a day in the mountains at the Banff Children’s Festival
20. Come out for this event on May 21 and get free ice cream and face painting in support of the Children’s Wish Foundation.
21.Register for Star Night at Glenbow Provincial Park
22. Get on your rubber boots and register to come and explore the ponds at Glenbow Provincial Park – that’s a fun weekend morning out!
23. Meet the baby animals at the opening of Heritage Park Grand Opening
24. Get outside, on one of the ten best places to bike with kids, in Calgary.
25.Get out the scooter and head out to the scooter park, learn some new tricks, make some new friends and try something new.